Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I used to believe...

Stumbling upon this site got me thinking about all the different ways I was tormented as a child...all the silly things that I actually believed--all because someone told me so, or because I just didn't know any better.

I can remember always being hungry as a child for something to snack on (okay, so that still holds true today)...my mom would give me something to eat, then poke me on the stomach and procede to tell me that I must have a tape worm inside that was always hungry. Imagine my horror when I was sitting in science class in elementary and the teacher started lecturing on tape worms!

I also didn't understand the concept of writing a check for something. I didn't realize you had to actually have money in the account in order to write them. Whenever I really wanted something and my parents would tell me they didn't have the money, I would just tell them to write a check. I guess I was always too concerned with actually getting the thing I was asking for that I didn't stop to think that if anyone could write a check for whatever they wanted, we wouldn't have been driving a Rabbit and I wouldn't have been wearing "hand me downs."

It's funny the things that children will believe just because they are so trustworthy or don't know any better...kind of scary too.

No comments: