Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy Easter!

Children crack me up. Children hunting Easter eggs crack me up even more. After church yesterday morning, we had an Easter egg hunt for kids 12 and younger. To make things fair, all of the kids 3 and younger got to go out first to hunt eggs, then after a few minutes they turned the older ones loose. As I stood inside with the older kids grunting and groaning that the smaller kids would get all the eggs first, I started laughing inside. Like a 2 year old child who still barely understands the concept of hunting eggs, let alone that the process should be done quickly to ensure getting more eggs, is going to get all the eggs before the older, rambunctious kids plow them over in hopes to get some good candy.

Finally the older rugrats were released. You would have thought that there was a fire behind them pushing them out just by seeing how fast they flew out the door. They started tearing after the plastic and hardboiled eggs like their lives depended on it...well, I guess for some, their only source of chocolate for the next two weeks was dependent on how quickly they stocked up.

As I watched them, I was amazed--some of them weren't just picking up the Easter eggs and putting them in their baskets...they were removing the candy from the eggs and tossing the plastic eggs back on the ground! This worked out just as well, I suppose, because the smaller kids, who really could care less about the chocolate, went right behind them picking up the eggs and dropping them in their baskets. In less than 5 minutes, it seemed, all the eggs had been found and the kids were back inside sorting through their baskets of goodies.

It made me smile as I watched them, as it reminded me of the simple pleasures of being young enough to enjoy a simple Easter egg hunt.

No comments: