Friday, March 11, 2005

Dietary restrictions?

I never thought I would see the day come where I would give up my Saturdays voluntarily to further my career. Not only am I giving up every other Saturday from February to April to sit in a classroom all day, I am driving 2 hours to get to this class. A co-worker and I have done this twice already--tomorrow marks the third adventure to Norman. Picture this: the class starts at 8:30 a.m., and since we are coming from two hours away, that would put my alarm going off right about 5 a.m. :( No. Fun. If nothing else, the courses have been good refreshers from my college degree and will give me continuing education units to go towards sitting for the big certification on down the road.

As the time quickly approaches for another trip down there, I am haunted by the memories of our last journey down there. Prior to traveling down there, the instructor of that days course had emailed everyone to let them know that since it would be a course on catering, lunch would be provided for that day. If anyone had any dietary needs, they needed to let her know. I'm not allergic to anything, and I'm certainly not a vegetarian, so I didn't reply with any. YAY! I don't have to spend money for lunch. :) After the lecturing portion of the course, we all walk over to another building and are seated in a banquet room where the Director of Catering joins us and begins explaining the presentation that is getting ready to take place. We were getting ready to be served a 5 course meal.

Now, traditionally, I enjoy the whole "business/formal" setting for meals. I like to get dressed up and be waited on for dinner, so I was excited about the 5 course meal. Plus, I was starving! The first thing they brought out was Bleu Cheese soup with crouton sticks--it was okay, but I'm not a big fan of Bleu Cheese--I'm a fairly plain Jane meat and potatoes kind of girl. . .but we still had 4 courses left, so I wasn't too disappointed. :)

Second, they brought out a tomato based kiche dipped in and served on avacado. I don't like tomatoes, and I certainly don't like avacado--blech. But I took a bite just to say I tried it and patiently waited for them to bring out whatever was next.

Immediately when the trays started coming through the door I knew what they were brining--I could smell it and literally wanted to throw up...seafood! I HATE seafood. The presentation was beautiful, but I breathed through my mouth and tried not to gag as they set the margarita glass filled with mashed potatoes and cut up lobster in front of me. By this point, I am losing my appetite, and praying that the entree would be something I could pronounce. Lucky for me most of the people at my table were just as picky of eaters as me.

At last, they started bringing out the entree...to my dismay--pecan crusted halibut!! Come on people! I already said I HATE seafood. Note to self: when asked of dietary restrictions from now on, tell them NO SEAFOOD!!!! When the Director of Catering started noticing that more than half of the people weren't eating their entrees she said, "What's the problem here? You guys were given the menu, so why aren't you eating?" Hold the phone...we were NEVER given the menu b/c I sure as heck would have brought my lunch or told them I was a veggetarian as to sit through this meal. We all told her we had not received the menu. I leaned over to my co-worker and said, "Surely they can't screw up dessert..."

Oh the dessert...a "beautiful display of the chef's favorite...a souffle with liquor sauce poured over it!" I'd never tried a souffle, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I hated it. It tasted like egg whites (considering that is what its made from) . I was completely disappointed. . . and starving!

So while everyone else headed back to class, my co-worker and I snuck out and went to Sonic for lunch. I had never appreciated that grilled cheese sandwich and fries in all of my life! That free meal was a nightmare!

No comments: