Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I just wanted some gasoline...

While driving to work this morning, I realized that I needed to get gas in my car before driving home, so I went to QT during my lunch. I stood outside in the highstrung wind, pumping my car full of gas, and nearly choked as I watched the price rise quickly from $20 to $25, when it finally clicked at $28.07. I decided that .93 wouldn't make that much difference, so I went ahead and topped it off at $29!--For a Cavalier!!

I was so wrapped up in mentally griping about the overrated-slash-in-the-throat price I just paid for gas that I didn't really take the time to pay attention to anything other than what I would eat for lunch. I grabbed a hotdog from the spinning machine and mumbled to myself that at least they hadn't robbed us on the price of hotdogs--yet. I grabbed a banana and a drink and headed to the cash register to pay. As I turned and headed out the door, I finally noticed the long line of construction workers sitting on the curb eating their lunches--staring at me and whispering amongst themselves. "Just keep walking--don't make eye contact," I told myself as I headed out the door. It was then that one of them jumped up and opened the door for me, and as I walked through the door he mumbled "Ow, bo-ni-ta." Then as I passed, made vulgar gestures to his buddies. Gross. Me. Out.

I was so mortified, all I wanted to do was blink my eyes and be outta there! Did he really think that I did not see him do that or that I don't understand Spanish? How tacky...

In all his disgustingness, I forgot to say thank you to him for opening the door for me. But all I could think about was quickly disappearing.

Note to self: Never get gas during lunch time again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy you should have turned around and told him, in spanish, that he would never have a chance with you. He would have been embarrassed and harrassed by his buddies all the rest of the day! He would think twice before doing it again. Doug