Thursday, September 08, 2005

Pearly whites

I hate going to the dentist--everything about it...Even in their newly renovated, lush office--the smells, the sounds...it's just hard for the dentist office to get past that stereotype that the whole dentist experience is not a pleasant one.

I showed up yesterday for my appointment 15 minutes early, and of course, like all doctor/patient offices, they didn't call my name until 20 minutes AFTER my scheduled appointment time. I've been going to this dentist office for about 2 years and had the same hygienist for that entire time. Not this time. They gave me someone different. Snort. Now I have to start all over with this girl trying to make all kinds of friendly and catch her up on my dental history. Not. Fun. I sucked it up and tried to endure with the best of them.

The scraper that they use gives me the creeps. I hate the sound of a metal pic scraping against my teeth...and to feel it at the same time-not any better. It never fails, just as they ask you a question, they cram their fingers down your mouth so you either A) can't answer and look like a snob, or B) sound like an idiot blabbering something that only a small infant would understand.

Then you pay all your money to the dentist who spends a total of 15 seconds looking at your teeth the whole 45 mintues you are back there. I had maxed out my dental insurance amount for this year since I had my wisdom teeth removed, so this time I was footing the entire bill on my own. Who thought just getting your teeth cleaned would cost so dadgum much?! (Yes, I know, I am dedicated to go even though I had to pay it on my own.)

I spent an hour and a half of my life, which I will never get back, just to find out my teeth looked good, but I should buy a $15 prescription toothpaste to use at night to keep an area in the back of my mouth from developing cavaties. When I told her "no thanks, I'm footing the bill today," the dentist told her to just give it to me. :) LOL! Suckers.

I will give the dentist props though: I got my haircut on Friday and he was the only one that noticed (and it was an obvious cut!).

Six months until I go through the torture again...

1 comment:

doug said...

Thanks for putting this post up, i have a appointment coming up and forgot what day it was on. They charged me $20 for a floride rinse, which i found out my metlife did not cover. lol now if i would only remember to use it lol.