Tuesday, May 24, 2005

My trip to Cairo

My coworkers returned to the office yesterday after having been in Cairo for a meeting for two weeks. I was interested to hear their many stories of the sheer craziness the driving in Cairo is, and it brought back nightmares to the handful of times that I was riding in a cab through Houston. Cairo was much worse, they assured me. Many times they were driving 65 miles an hour on the highway and suddenly all the cars would come to a complete stop...up ahead was a donkey pulling a cart full of watermelons on the highway.

The mass amounts of mosquitos in Cairo were unbelieveable. Standing inside the buildings even, one would get 50-60 bites. Sounds a lot like my backyard, well anywhere outside for me really. They swarm me like vultures hovering over roadkill. I can't even wear scented anything in the summer because of the sheer torture they put me through for the five seconds it takes me to walk from the car to the front door of the house.

My coworkers brought me back a gift from Cairo...a small, handmade jewelry box. It was beautiful. As I opened it, the overwhelming scent of bandaids filled the room. "It smells like bandaids," I said. My boss took the box and inhaled. "Nope...It smells like Cairo."

Oh, fun! I told them I was going to take my jewelry box home, stand out on my back deck, take a huge whif of the jewelry box as the mosquitos tore into my skin. Then, I could feel like I had actually gone with them to Cairo.

No comments: