Wednesday, January 26, 2005

We're going downhill.

Well, we made it to day 6. Mike had his wisdom teeth removed on Friday, and we have finally made it to day 6. It has been the longest 6 days of my life...even more so for Mike. Poor guy--he's still stuck at home on the blasted couch that he has been laying on for 6 whole days. We did finally move to the bed Monday night. I have never missed my bed so much.

It has been quite the battle...for both of us, but definately more so for him. Only being able to eat soft stuff (yogurt, pudding, ice cream, etc), popping 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours, bleeding, swallowing blood which later results in throwing everything up, packing gauze every other hour, staying quiet and still. You can only eat yogurt and chicken noodle soup so many times before the thought alone of eating it again makes you want to throw up. No wonder Mike never drinks 7-Up on a regular basis...he says it always makes him think that he's sick. I see why now. We have nearly 100 movies (no lie) that I have bought, and this week the selection has never looked so bleak. I LOVE watching movies, and right now I'm pretty sure that I don't want to see another movie again for a long time!....okay, so maybe like a week, then I'll be ready to watch another one.

My heart just breaks to see him like this...I feel like I should suffer all that he is. I don't like eating in front of him because I feel guilty. Why should I get a big juicy cheeseburger while he is slowly eating ANOTHER cup of pudding? Doesn't seem fair. And of course I wanted to sleep on the sectional at night with him in case he needed me. Well, I say sleep, but I really just closed my eyes. My brain wouldn't shut off because I kept worrying about if it was time to redo the gauze or give him more pills. Our muscles feel like we just ran a 5 mile marathon. They are so achey just from staying in the same spot for 6 days...does this mean that I shouldn't feel bad for not getting my regularly scheduled workouts in this week? :) My body feels like I haven't missed them...

So, here I am back at work (although I only came in for half a day) and all I can do is think about Mike. I want to be at home with him...sitting on the couch in that same spot, watching the same court TV shows with no sunshine coming into the living room, hovering over the telephone in case it rings while he is napping...

He is looking and feeling much better today. We are finally starting to go downhill--thank you Lord! And deep down as we take one day at a time, I know in the back of my mind that I am next. It will be my turn in the next couple of months. :(

I went to the dentist today and talked to him about having mine removed. I only have two lower ones (thank goodness!), but here's what is strange...both of my lower wisdom teeth are growing horizontally! I looked at the X-ray in disbelief. Only I would have two teeth growing the wrong direction! Oh geez...

So, as we come downhill from Mike's surgery, we look forward...a couple of months when it will be my turn. My turn to go through this all again. Poor Mike...once should have been enough for him. :(

Amidst all this drama, I nearly forgot (notice I said nearly) that my birthday is only 3 days away. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man you make me want to go get my wisdom teeth removed. I have the same problem you have only mine are the upper. I am waiting till i have to go. You are such a good person to stay home and take care of him, most ppl would go to work and tell them to do it themselves. Much repect for your generosity.