Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Oh, such waiting...

Yesterday the talk began to float around the office that the freezing rain and ice was headed our way this week. Of course that always gets me excited for the possibility that the office might close early or not open at all. Imagine the joy that came over me when I received an email from one of the Directors that explained the "Inclement Weather Policy" thats conveniently located on page 14 of our Employee Handbook. What a disappointment when I dialed the voicemail in the office bright and early this morning only to discover that the email was just for tormenting me...the office was definately open.

You know that I love my job, and being really busy this week has helped me stay focused, but when the weather is dreary and cold, I have no motivation to do anything except stay at home in a warm, fuzzy blanket and watch movies and eat snacks all day. It doesn't help that Amber Frey is on Oprah today...good thing I am taping it.

So, here I am at work staring out the window as the sleet pours down all around the building...constantly checking the weather on our local news site hoping to get the victorious email from the Director telling everyone to go home and be careful...it probably won't come until 4:30, if it comes at all.

Moms are so funny when weather like this hits. . . and so predictable. At least mine is. I called my mom to ask her something completely unweather related, and as I predicted she turned the conversation to how icy it was outside. Like clockwork, she began to tell me that the roads were getting slick and that I needed to be very careful when I drive home today. It's almost as if she truly believes that for the past 23 years that she has told me that "when it snows and ices, the roads get dangerous" that I haven't been listening to her or that I have somehow forgotten that. Maybe she has forgotten that one of my office walls is a full size window and that I can see all of the traffic below sliding around on the streets. I know that she is doing it out of the best of intentions, but still...

So, here I wait...peering out the window as the snow flurries begin to fall. Thinking. Waiting. Hoping that the relieving email will come soon. Oh, how I hope it comes soon...

No comments: