Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The Twelve Days of Christmas

I love my job as a Meeting Planner, and one of the things that makes my job more enjoyable are certainly the people that I work with. There is always a side to people that you don't normally get to see in the office. But yesterday, I had the opportunity to see the childlike side of my 45 grown-up co-workers.
Yesterday was our annual Christmas luncheon, and a new suggestion for this year was to sing Christmas carols while we waited for our food. After singing quite a number of carols, someone suggested we sing "The Twelve Days of Christmas." We divided the tables up, each taking two days to sing. Then suddenly, one of my co-workers decided that we would not be allowed to sing this song without standing up and doing the motions that correspond with each day. The moaning and groaning began, but as we started with the first day and progressed to the twelfth, my co-workers began to participate in the silly motions that correspond with each day's gifts. The group was such a sight that the staff of the venue began to group around to watch from a distance. I think they were afraid if they stepped too close to the display of chaos that they might get sucked in and forced to participate. Even still, to watch my co-workers celebrate this song so carefree and jovial brought a smile to my face. Some of the interpretations of this song were quite entertaining--who thought that this Christmas song would bring out different suggestions for 11 pipers piping, and I have never seen the like of possible swim strokes that those poor swans suffered through.
Anyway, watching my fellow co-workers let loose and enjoy themselves made this holiday party one of the most memorable ones.

No comments: