Monday, August 06, 2007

Lord of the Flies

Something happened between this weekend and last at our house because in the last few days Mike and I have been noticing more and more flies in our house. Buzzing around-being annoying like they do. I thought we had a few, but I had no idea how many until Mike grabbed the swatter Saturday night and just went to town killing. Of course, in true Simon fashion, he tucked his tail and ran for the bedroom because he's a wuss and frightens at the drop of a hat. So I went into the back bedroom with him and closed the door as Mike continued away wiping out flies with the swatter.

Fifteen minutes later Mike comes in to let us know that he's killed an army of flies. I walked into the kitchen and sure enough, there were about 20 laying helplessly dead on my kitchen floor...not counting the ones he killed by the window and blinds. I couldn't believe it. I think a couple got in and had babies!! They multiplied like rabbits.

This morning I got up to make my breakfast and heard that taunting buzzing sound around my head. Ugh. They were back. I grabbed the swatter and just tore into them. Before you know it I had killed like 5 and had plenty more to demolish. After a few minutes I realized that I was making comments outloud to them:
"Come on suckers!"
"Land you punk!"
"I'm gonna squash you like a fat kid on a bike."
"Who wants to die next?!"

Then I wondered if it was wrong that I got such pleasure out of extinguishing so many at one time. Heck no, I decided and continued swatting away.

After 10 minutes had passed and they all lay helpless on the floor, the sink and the counter, I felt powerful...like a Queen. Like I could conquer the world. Then that power quickly fizzled as I realized how long it was going to take me to clean them all up.

4 comments:

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

I know! They are ridiculous! Glad you voiced your opinions to the flies. I am positive they cared. :)

cracked.up.laughing

Amy said...

SYS~I'm positive they cared too...as they took their last breath. :)

doug said...

Well my house is right in front of a creek so i not only have been getting flies but the mosquitos as well, and with west nile going around i feel like a hermit hiding from them.

Amy said...

Believe me D, I know about mosquitos...I get at least 10 bites in the time it takes me to walk Simon out to the backyard to use the bathroom. :( I.HATE.MOSQUITOS.