Monday, November 26, 2007

Food

In the middle of all the Thanksgiving drama, my sister and I decided that we would go down the night before and spend the night at my grandma's, then get up in the morning and help her prepare the food. Many of you know my food making talent...or lack thereof...so imagine my surprise when we were getting ready to go to bed that night and my grandma asks what time my sister will be getting up the next morning to prepare the turkey...say what??

(When I agreed to help in the kitchen, I was under the assumption that my grandma would be doing most of the cooking and I would just be there to help do things like peel potatoes and easy stuff like that...I am FULLY aware of my inability to cook.)

Wrong. Apparently my sister had made a deal with her that Cheri' and I would do ALL of the cooking. By ourselves. Meaning, if I botched up the potatoes, we wouldn't be having potatoes. Talk about stressful. But, hesitantly I agreed.

So my sister and I got up at 8:30 the next morning to get the turkey ready. I had already made myself very clear I would NOT be touching the raw turkey, but I would get my butt out of bed to supervise (aka watch my sister and make fun of her if she messed anything up). She did okay until it came time to get the gibblets and the neck out of the inside. Gibblets were no where to be found.

Me calling my mom: Hi Mom. Is it possible that our turkey didn't come with gibblets? We can't find them anywhere.

Mom: No, Amy, that's not possible. Look harder.

Me: Cheri' is looking very hard and none can be found.

Mom: They are probably in the white wrapper that's on the end of the turkey.

Me: (long pause) Hmmm...well that sucks. We threw that away.

So we dug it out of the trash, washed it off before my grandma got up and continued on our mission (my grandmas makes gibblet gravy-blech). After the turkey was in the oven, we spent the rest of the morning getting everything else ready.

I was in charge of the easy stuff: mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (I really only wanted to put the marshmallows on top b/c that's all I eat of those), salad, cold stuff (pickle tray), deviled eggs, corn, and I helped a little with the stuffing. My sister did all the meat and cut it and made the stuffing.

All in all, everything was edible (thank goodness) and everyone was stuffed after we ate. But after all of that, I can guarantee only one thing: I will NOT get volunteered to help cook next year. :)

1 comment:

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

For the record:

**I did NOT tell her we would cook. She was POUTING!....Just like she was by not making the chex mix and with the missing foil and dinner the night before.

She was mad at us for not being there when she thought we should so she said, "I'll show you."

**You don't have to worry about cooking at Thanksgiving anymore because we are starting a new tradition. No family time at Thanksgiving! LOL!