Monday, October 09, 2006

New Orleans

So, I'm back from New Orleans...with lots of pictures, numerous stories, five pounds lighter (not really, but it feels that way after sweating so much in the city), and a torn tendon in my foot. The trip in itself was a lot of work, since I was there for business, but I did get to have some fun too. But at the end of the day, all I can say is "There's no place like home."

Here's one of my favorite stories that happened while I was down there (I won't bog you down with too many b/c I'm sure you don't really care-ha!)
The last Thursday night I was there, I was sound asleep. I had gotten into bed about midnight and was extrememly exhausted, so it didnt' take long to fall asleep after my head hit the pillow. However, at 5 AM I woke to the god-awful sound of the hotel fire alarm going off. My heart started racing, and I wasn't exactly thinking clearly at the hour, so I'm scrambling around to find my shoes, my ID, my camera, and my phones. I race out the door into the hall to discover I am the ONLY one in the hall. I think to myself "what the heck?? I know I'm not the only one who can hear this annoying cattle call." So I keep running to the stairs booking it down 3 flights and out the door to the outside. "What is going on??" There is no one outside. Starting to get more annoyed, I walk around to the front entrance and see like 20 people walking back inside. So I called one of my co-workers who happened to be staying in my hotel. Here's how the conversation went (or to the best of my recollection...it WAS 5 AM):

Me: Hi-are you outside?
Her: No, I started getting my stuff together, but decided to call the front desk, and they told me I didn't need to go out-that they would let us know if we did.

DOH! Why the heck didn't I think of that??

So I went back upstairs and tried falling back to sleep...but it took forever b/c my heart was still racing and a million things were going through my mind. How annoying.

It's good to be back!! Pictures to be posted soon.

1 comment:

doug said...

I think you made the right decision. If you took the time to call (and there was a real fire) it could have been just enough time for the fire to spread your way and trap you.