Tuesday, June 14, 2005

And I didn't even go to the movies

You know the lump you get in your throat when you are watching a sappy movie, but you are trying hard not to let the tears fall down your cheek? I have that lump in my throat now. But sadly, I am not watching a tear-jerker movie, nor have I lately. This silly lump showed up in my throat last night for no apparent reason. I tried eating multiple snacks to try to dislodge it and drinking lots of fluid, but to no avail. The lump still lingers.

I had a lump like this once before, and it took 6 days for that silly thing to finally move all the way down my throat. That was the most annoying 6 days of my life. Well, maybe not, but it ranks high up there with being pestered by mean boys as a child and getting a kernel of popcorn stuck in my teeth with no help from dental floss or a toothpick.

I caught myself twice today hacking like a cat with hairballs trying desparately to dislodge it, but I realized how unprofessional I sounded and had to apologize to my two co-workers who are housed beside me for making inhumane noises while they were trying to concentrate.

I succumb to this fate. This overpowering force is too big to try and fight down. I accept the fact that this lump will remain for the next few days. No amount of crunchy snacks with multiple edges will knock it loose or no amount of soda will wash it down. It is with me wherever I go. We will celebrate together the day I wake up and find that this horrific reality has finally become a memory.

1 comment:

April said...

I hope you feel better soon! I also wanted to say that it was so nice to meet you. Too bad we couldn't have done it sooner. If you are ever in Florida, remember, you have a friend to visit!! Keep in touch.