Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Buried treasure

What started out as a small, focused task turned in to a full-blown treasure hunt last night in my attic. It all started when I saw a girl I graduated from high school with at Wal-Mart and I couldn't for the life of me remember her name. This was nearly two weeks ago, and I was still bothered by not knowing her name, so I set out on a quest to climb in the attic and dig for my yearbook. :)

I'll be the first to admit that thick dust and the possibility of running into a rat are not my cup of tea. But I endured. After moving all the wedding tubs and Christmas decoration tubs out of the main aisle I opened a box towards the back of the attic and to my delight I found all sorts of treasures that I used to play with as a child!

My sister and I were definitely not deprived of books, stuffed animals, or baby dolls. Box after box that I opened were filled with toys that we had played with as children. And what is funny--I actually remember all the names of the animals and babies I stumbled across. After a while it became a game to me--each box I opened had to be one of the three things listed above. The end to all the toys stored up in that very cram-packed attic was far from being seen. I thought about the rap music video back in the early 90's when all the people kept coming out of the guy's trunk and you wonder how many more people were going to come crawling out.

The treasures that I found were endless--scripts from plays I had once been in, letters from old friends, poems and stories I had written as a child, pictures from memories past, diaries from when I was 9 or 10, knick knacks that I once thought of throwing away, but was glad to see had survived through the years.

I pulled a few things down and Mike and I enjoyed reading through my findings. My diaries were hilarious. It was wonderful to take a walk down Memory Lane.

And after all that, I never found the yearbooks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you could have asked me for mine what year did you need? Doug