Wednesday, February 09, 2005

What crazy fans won't do...

I am completely at a loss for words. Like many other fellow Americans, I am a huge fan of American Idol. I have watched consistently the past four years, though I admit I opted out last season after I vowed to quit watching last season if they got rid of LaToya. When they did, I quit watching. But here I am again watching the fourth season.

How excited was I when I was watching the auditions in St. Louis and saw a very familiar face and name: Carrie Underwood. I went to NSU with Carrie, and while I never actually spoke to her or had classes with her I knew who she was. She was the down to earth girl with a great talent--singing. She won the talent portion of the Miss NSU pageant and the 1st Runner Up overall. (That's something I can rant about in another blog entry--my experience in the Miss NSU pageant and pageants in general...maybe later this week.)

What amazes me, and quite frankly scares me is that Carrie has performed TWICE in front of America--TWO TIMES! and the love America already has for her is overwhelming. I went to the AI website and did a search for her on their message board. UNBELIEVABLE! The number of messages and comments about her were unbelievable. So, I thought to myself, "I'm going to google her and see if I get any hits." What I should of said was, "I'm going to google her and see HOW MANY hits I get." You would not believe the number of fansites that have already been created in her honor. . . that part is totally cool. What scares me is how rampant everyone has become to find pictures and information about her...anything they can get their hands on. They have become so Carrie-hungry it is frightening! I never realized that a fanbase could grow so large after only two public appearances.

Do I think she will win? Not sure...do I think she will go far in the competition? Yes. And well deserved. I am just amazed at how quickly she has become the talk at the Watercooler. What was once just a name that floated around NSU for a while has now become a household name.

I, too, am a fan and will continue to route for her as long as she is in the competition. Congratulations Carrie!

--From a stranger to you at NSU

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I said i would never watch this really stupid show, but now i will have to take a look at it.