Monday, January 21, 2008

Simon is spoiled

Mike and I have a rule in our house that Simon is not allowed to have any form of people food. Growing up, our dogs only ate people food, which played a part in their deaths, so I made a conscious decision not to make the same mistake with Simey. Even on holidays, he only gets a "bite" of ham. Even my mom has to be reminded that she can't spoil her granddog with food like she does my niece.

A couple of months ago, I was finishing up a bowl of cereal when I looked down at my feet to see Simon looking up with me with his sweet little eyes like he does every other time we are eating. Funny how even after two years of us not giving him anything from our plates, he still begs and expects to get something. As I started to take my bowl of milk to the sink to pour out, Simey caught me in a weak moment. I bent down, held out the bowl, and let him take a few licks out of the bowl. He was in heaven. After about 5 licks (a tease mostly), I took the bowl from him, quickly toweled off his chin so as not to give me away, rinsed out my bowl and went on with my day.

To my surprise, the next morning when I started eating my bowl of cereal, Simon had jumped out of bed (he sleeps in with Mike until I leave), crawled into the kitchen and sat at my feet. He wanted more milk. Little stinker! What had I started??

So for a couple of months, this has been a daily routine when I eat cereal for breakfast. Even if he is dead asleep or looking out the window intently or playing with a toy (which is rarely the case since I get up at 5:15), the moment I stand up to walk my bowl to the sink, he stops what he is doing and comes running. It's actually gotten pretty cute to watch him sit at my feet patiently waiting for me to finish so he can have his dose of pleasure for the day.

This morning was no different. I got my bowl out of the cabinet, fixed it with cereal and sat down to eat. As I looked over into the living room, there he sat: cute as a bug watching me, the fur on his face smashed from sleeping on it funny, and his eyes so sleepy he can barely keep them open. But he sat there and waited. When I finished, he ran over got his 5 or 6 licks in and then ran straight back to bed. He is spoiled rotten. But I love him dearly!

1 comment:

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

He is so stinkin' cute!

So....does Mike know you are doing this every day????