Monday, July 24, 2006

Language barriers

For those of you that know me well, know that I love the hispanic culture. I've been to Mexico five times in my life and absolutely loved it there. I love the people, I love the food, I love the music, I just love the culture. I honestly think if I wasn't so happy here in Sand Springs, America, my heart would be just as happy living in Mexico.

However, there are a few things that I would do before moving there...namely-LEARN SPANISH fluently. I would not expect to live there and never learn to speak the native language. That would be...well, selfish on my part. Even on my five trips to the deep southern part of Mexico, I did my very best to speak Spanish to the vendors, the people on the street, everyone except the Americans traveling with me. It's just respectful.

So, tell me why I have a hard time reading this article and feeling sorry for them. I just can't. If you are going to move to America (which I have no problem with), be respectful enough to learn English. It's one thing to visit and speak your native tongue...it's another to MOVE HERE and expect us to change everything for you.

*Steps down off soapbox*

2 comments:

doug said...

4 times deep south 1 time just across the border. lol I learned a few things on that trip. And i agree 100% with what you said. Even moving there. To bad the only spanish i know is Thank you, please, your welcome and i can count to 5. would have put it in spanish but do not know how to spell anything in spanish.

doug said...

Just read the artical. Seems to make since to me. You want to live learn to speak ENGLISH. This will be all from me cause i could go forever on people not speaking english and living in the USA. but of course out fine government will make us(americans)learn everyone elses language.