Monday, March 20, 2006

Birthday Beast

So Mike's birthday was Saturday...for his birthday I purchased him a waist high Craftsman tool kit from Sears the week before his big day. Since the big box wouldn't fit into my little two-door Cavalier, I decided to wait until his big day to borrow my dad's truck and make the hike back to Tulsa to get it. Lucky for me his brother was planning to take him to the car show so I would have a couple of hours to make the run to Sears and back without him knowing.

As you all know, Oklahoma has been in a drought for like a million years, so the likliness of it actually raining on the big travel day to Tulsa was slim to none. Unless, of course, you factor in that it was something I was planning, and then you would increase the chance of rain to 100%. As the rain poured down Saturday morning, Dad called to tell me he didn't think it was a good idea for me to take his little truck in the rain and that having a tarp over the box probably wouldn't do much good for the box. So what did he offer? The next best thing, of course: The 15 passenger church van. Awesome. Please be warned that it has been many moons since I've driven a van, and even then it was only a mini van from my house to Mike's parents--quite a difference from the long haul to South Tulsa. But I love Mike and I really wanted him to have his gift ON his birthday so I decided to suck it up and deal with the fact that I was about to become the coolest cat alive, driving this beast in the mad-driven rain.

So I get in...Lights work-CHECK. Signals work-CHECK. Wind-shield wipers work-CHECK. Heater works-CHECK. I'm off. Despite the fact that the hoss makes a very loud chugging noise whenever you give it gas, we did okay. I tried to stay in the far lane so as to never have to pull over in front of cars...the last thing I needed was to whack the front end out of some poor guys car because I wasn't tall enough to see out the back window. I prayed silently and then verbally that the Lord would give me an easy ride and that anything that did not want to be struck by my monstrosity stay out of my way. :) Pretty sure the beast intimidated everyone that drove by me, even though I'm almost certain I saw a couple of kids pointing and laughing as they sped by. Maybe they were the haunting fears in the back of my mind that reminded me of a time when my dad used to pick me up from junior high in the much desired church van. Now THAT's another post all together. After driving this hog to Tulsa, I feel like I've endured enough trama for one day.

I made it to Tulsa. And back. In one piece. No one got hit. Mike loved his gift (thank God), and seemed to appreciate the fact that his loving wife would make such a sacrifice to get him the perfect gift. Next time I need to make such a run in such an overpowering beast, I'll be sure to invite a few friends to sit in the back, so at least I don't look like such an idiot all alone. :)

Happy Birthday Baby!

2 comments:

Amy said...

LL~Yeah, decided against the pic b/c of Dad. :)

Mazzio's--now that pretty much puts me on the top for the coolest things I've ever done...or the most stupid. :)

doug said...

Should have called ken and asked to borrow my truck from his lot. It would have made it there without having to be seen in another van. lol And besides my truck looks awesome. Now if someone would just buy it so i can get something more fuel effiencient. <- my spelling sucks i know.