Thursday, April 03, 2008

Life changing seasons

Right out of college I went through a season in my life where all of my friends were getting married...including myself. It was a lot of fun-I love weddings, especially when it's a close friend or family member. I did find it ironic though, that the only conversation that a person could hold with me was to ask me about the wedding plans. The conversation was so predictable and would always go something like this:

Person: Hey how's it going?
Me: Pretty good...you?
Person: Good...
(long pause)
Person: So, how are the wedding plans coming along?
Me: Pretty good.
(long pause)

And then they go on their merry way. I thought that after a few years wedding season would stop...or at least slow down. But the truth is, it will never stop. Someone I know will always be getting married. But now I've found, that on top of wedding season, I've now entered baby season. Right now, 8 out of my 100 MySpace friends are pregnant. And that doesn't even include the "dad" friends that I have whose wifes are preggers. That's 8%, which seams like a lot to me. And now the predictable conversation has now transformed into the following:

Me: Hey, congrats on the baby! That's so exciting. Happy for you.
Person: Hey, thanks. We're excited. So...when are you going to have a baby?

It's like word vomit...they can't help it. They have to ask. So it makes me wonder--why do we do that? Why do we feel the need to ask the same question to every newly engaged couple and to every newly married couple? Why can't we just let them offer the information if they choose to? It's not like we really want to know. We just have to ask because we can't help it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow some compelling things to think about...by the way...when are you going to have a baby!? :)

Anonymous said...

Fun post :)Sorry for the boring answer...but these questions are prerred to silence. Weddings and babies are more fun than "Moved into a retirement home yet?"

Amy said...

Danny-I knew someone would ask it...this post is just screaming for that to be asked.

Heather-LOL, love the retirement line.:)

Sweet Yet Sassy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sweet Yet Sassy said...

I agree with Danny. :)

I am getting married...hurry ask me!

Then I will ask you.... So when are you having a baby?

There! Both obligations are complete let's talk about something else!

So....hmmmmm..... I got nothin'!