Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Addictions

Have you ever played Tetris so much that when you lay down to sleep at night and close your eyes, your mind is still putting the falling pieces together? I have...many times.

I have an addictive personality. I get "hooked" on stuff really easily. If I find a new TV show that I am interested in, I can't just watch every episode ever created from the series nonstop with no sleep, food, or interaction with civilization. I can't stop there. I have to go online and research the show, research the actors, the characters, and everything in between. I get obsessed until I'm convinced I know more about the show than the ones who created and wrote it. No lie. Then I have to get my sister into the show and all my friends and people I know, so that I won't feel quite so guilty about spending so much time obsessing over something that's not real.

But it's not just TV--it can be anything. If I read a book I really like, I can't stop until I've read every book written by that author. Or if I find a game I like, I can't stop playing it until I've mastered it. Or even a new website, that has my mind thinking of suggestions and scenarios to offer to the blogger to write about even when I'm laying awake at night. My mind won't shut off. So much so that I start to dream about the things I'm obsessing about.

I'm so thankful that I never tried drugs or alcohol because I'm sure that I would be an addict to all of it. I'd be in rehab for the 8th or 9th time...I'd probably be addicted to rehab. Thank goodness I'm not, or else I'd had to move to Hollywood.

My current obsession is a trial that's been in the headlines for a couple of weeks. It's a pretty gruesome trial, so I'm not entirely sure what drew me to it in the first place, but it did. And I have been obsessed with it for a week. I can't stop watching it. The jury is in deliberation right now, and I am anxiously waiting to here the verdict-whenever that will be. I'm hoping after they make their decision that I can go back to lead a normal life again...that is, until I find something else to obsess about. I need help. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing. Hope the verdict comes soon. May I suggest an addiction to ice-cream? New episode of Lost is coming soon....I'm so addicted.

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

Uhm......Did I write this or did you? WOW!

Movies, books, TV shows... I am right there with you! Lookin' up an actor now actually! ;)

I am cracking up laughing at your blog. Brad would call your writing stream of consciousness! LOL!

bmusic24 said...

How about minesweeper? That would be me. Lying awake at night figuring out where the mines are and what numbers go where. Crazy stuff!

bmusic24 said...

ok, so what trial are you talking about? I'm curious to know.

Amy said...

Heather-Ice cream is one of my weaknesses. I always buy the little pint ones and eat it all in one sitting. Oops!

SYS-Yes, we are the same person.

Brad-I LOVE minesweeper! It's one of my favorites. I was obsessed with the trial where the 17 year old kid murdered and mutilated one of his "friends" (I use that term loosely though). The trial is now over and he was convicted of all three charges (thank goodness!).