Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Where did my energy go??

My aerobics class got cancelled last night, so I thought to myself, "I'm already here...might as well do something productive." So I started lifting weights and then suddenly the blue plastic caught my eye...a jump rope! Fun!! I used to do the "Jump Rope For Heart" every year in elementary and I can remember always winning the endurance award. I could jump rope for a very long time. And it was fun.

So, I picked up the jump rope and walked into the empty aerobics room. I noted the time on the clock so I could time myself and started jumping at a fairly slow pace. "Oh this is easy," I thought to myself after the first 30 seconds..."I'll speed it up." How bout a few "double-unders." Yeah. Way to go. You're going strong. Surely I'd been jumping for a good 5-10 minutes. I looked up at the clock. WHAT THE?!?! Only 2 lousy minutes had passed and I was quickly running out of breath and energy. I do NOT remember jumping rope being this difficult. Glad I attempted this in a room by myself. Others would have pointed and laughed I'm sure. I even verbalized to myself how pathetic it was that I couldn't jump rope consistently for more than a couple of minutes.

I'm embarrassed to say I only lasted 10 minutes. Oh what I wouldn't give for the energy level of my 12 year old self.

2 comments:

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

You've got me beat! I jump about 10 TIMES not 10 minutes and say I have excercised! HA!

Anonymous said...

I think 10 minutes is impressive!! Jump rope is so hard, and how we did it so easily when we were little is so sad...and a mystery.