Monday, July 16, 2007

Say "no" to DFW

I'm a little late in posting this, but I needed some time to cool off before my ranting and raving became incomprehensible. So, you know I went to San Antonio last week for a business trip, which went fantastically well...until the trip home. Of course.

We had some delicious Mexican food, laughed a lot, got some work done, and had lots of time for stories, BUT I should have listened to my body when it gave me those stinking creepies as I noted that we would be flying through DFW to get back to Tulsa. Sigh. "Bad weather" they said. Of course.

We finished with our meeting early and bumped us up to the earlier flight which put us in DFW at 4:20, as opposed to 8:30. YAY. We deboard and go to the reader board to see where our gate will be. Flight to Tulsa scheduled for a 5:20 departure now bumped to 5:45. So we get ourselves front row chairs at Chili's, order drinks and food, and "people watch" the folks that come up to the reader board and leave in disgust.

However, our 5:45 departure quickly changes to 6:15...then 7:15. More drinks and food please. Coming right up. And alas, 8:15. Just leave our tab open ma'am. Thanks.

Meanwhile, the flashbacks from the last trip through DFW were starting to haunt me, and I started to get annoyed. Really annoyed.

Two transvestites, 10 super cute pair of shoes, a man with a broken leg, a woman who kicked the air, nachos, cheesecake and 6 drinks later, the boss comes back with great news: "Don't trust the reader boards, no one knows anything right now." Great. Then, to top it off, our flight just disappears off the board. That can't be good. It wasn't-it got cancelled. So the bosses are in line to get us on the next flight out to Tulsa, as there were only two left. Turns out, we were the last people to get on board the next flight, which really wasn't even a guarantee since there were rumors that the flight was overbooked. Great news for me (not)...I had a "C" boarding pass (we flew SWA), while the majority of my group had "B." Of course.

Thank God-when the time came, they took my ticket and my co-workers had saved seats in the back of the plane. Whew. BUT, I have pretty much decided that it would probably be worth a few extra bucks and an extra hour added to a trip if it meant avoiding DFW. That place is just a magnet for people like me with the worst traveling luck.

1 comment:

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

Two transvestites, 10 super cute pair of shoes, a man with a broken leg, a woman who kicked the air, nachos, cheesecake and 6 drinks later,

That is hilarious! Laughed my very loud laugh!

Please do not put a hex on me as I do have to fly via Southwest to Dallas and back this week. Thank you!