Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Pet Peeve

Like many of you, I have a lot of pet peeves, annoying things that just drive me batty. Yesterday I was reminded of one that quickly rose to the top of my list and I would like to take just a brief moment to step up on my soap box and vent. I promise it will be brief:

I would like to shoot the person who invented call waiting. Better yet, I'd rather sit them down and torture them and ask them questions about their childhood and whether or not they felt unloved growing up. What was once something that I was relieved to have, and got annoyed at people who didn't have it, has now become one of my least favorite technology inventions. Why? It is rude and intrusive. If I am having a conversation with you and you either A) tell me "someone's calling so I gotta go," or B) tell me "someone's calling so I'll have to call you back, or C) tell me "someone's calling, hang on a minute while I see what they want," you are telling me only one thing: "My conversation with you is not important," and that does nothing but make me feel annoyed and unappreciated.

The only good I see coming from call waiting is that when you are having a conversation with a person and someone "beeps in" to your conversation, you can see who it is and call them back AFTER your former conversation...and even then, you really only have caller-ID to thank for that.

Thank you. That is all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Also the result of phrases like "beeps in" which otherwise make no sense at all!

Anonymous said...

I'll go one step further without seeming gripey but when did the expectation to answer the call. I admit I much prefer email or texts but I do my share of "phoning" too. What irks me is when someone calls, I don't answer for various reasons with the good intentions of calling them back and instead they repeatedly call back. I finally answer and they say "I've been calling you". No, you don't say!
~judy

pip said...

you know what? i completely agree! i absolutely hate it when...

oh hold on, phone call.






hehehe

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

blah blah blah blah blah.

It is only annoying when you call mom and she says, "hang on Cheri' is calling". Because I know that is the MAIN time that I find it annoying....when I am talking to Mom and she does it to me because YOU are calling. :)

Just Kidding. It is annoying and I will continue to do it to you when someone beeps in while I am talking to you if it is some that will leave a ridiculously long message that I don't want to listen to later. :)

Thank you.