Monday, May 19, 2008

Life lessons from a 6 year old

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law were in town this weekend visiting/moving back, so we went out for a family lunch, and I sat next to my 6 year old niece. After a little while, the conversation went like this:

Her: Amy, what is your favorite thing to do?
Me: (without stopping to think) Scrapbooking.
Her: Hmmm
Me: What about you? What's your favorite thing to do?
Her: Hmmm, probably playing.
Me: What do you like to play?
Her: Anything. I just like playing.
Me: Do you like playing outside or inside better?
Her: That's tough...but probably outside because you can run around and be active.
Me: Of fun! Me too...do you like to roller skate?
Her: I don't know how.
Me: Well, why don't you have someone teach you?
Her: Who should I ask?
Me: How about your mom and dad?
Her: They don't know how to skate!

Then a few minutes later she asks:
Her: Amy, what is your favorite thing to eat?
Me: (Thinking) Wow, that's tough...there's a lot to choose from...how about cheesecake.
Her: What is your favorite HEALTHY thing to eat?
Me: (dumbfounded) OH! Um, fruit?
Her: I like fruit too. It's good for you.

Oh to go back to the days where "playing" is my favorite thing to do...and I guess I need to be more conscious about what I eat. Yikes...a six year old is putting me in check.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheesecake IS healthy. Duh little niece!

Sweet Yet Sassy said...

Uhm yes please.

Bring on the Cheesecake!

Cheesecake Factory anyone??

BRB...gonna go play.

Amy said...

Canaan-Well of course I think it is...DUH! :)

SYS-I will take CF ANY day.